We believe that hiring is one of the most important processes that we carry out at Unbound and we are constantly refining our hiring methods to be more inclusive, transparent, and respectful of applicant's time. Typically, the hiring process can take up to 2 months. During this time, applicants will meet with multiple members of our team and may be asked to complete a paid assessment based on the role. We do believe in compensating people for their time so this is a paid project.
Employment benefits for full time positions at Unbound include: health insurance (including vision and dental), an FSA and 401k program, childcare stipend, employee equity, and paid time off and sick days.
If you'd like to send us your resume and contact info for consideration for future roles at Unbound, please fill out this brief form.
Unbound is seeking a skilled engineer with experience in micro motor designs for health, medical, and/or sexual wellness consumer electronic products to help us design our motor for our next product.
Unbound is developing a vibrating electronic product (i.e., vibrator). The product needs an exceptionally small and lightweight motor in order to enable the functionality of the product. Historically, most vibrators in the industry use traditional DC motors, but we’re hoping to innovate on that design and application for a motor that is strong, rumbly, but also lightweight and somewhat pliable.
- Consult with Unbound’s CEO and Product Development Manager to understand the product’s requirements (i.e., functionality, weight, strength, cost and size constraints)
- Collaborate with the Unbound team to design a micro motor based on the product’s constraints and exterior design / size requirements
- Create clean-sheet motor design(s) of brushed and/or brushless DC motors, or alternative motor design / functionality
- Final Deliverables: micro motor design and engineering specs in the forms of –
- CAD files
Physical prototype(s) in order to prove functionality within product’s requirements, and validate manufacturability
- BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with 5 years of motor design experience
- Previous Brushless DC Motor Design experience encompassing magnetics, mechanical packaging and manufacturing
- Familiar with brushless DC motors; design, prototype, and large scale manufacturing
- Experience in consumer products and/or medical devices preferred
- Must be willing to take a personal hands-on approach to problem solving and rapid prototype development
- Proficiency in CAD software (e.g., Creo, Solidworks)
- Expert understanding of motor assembly and motor component design/manufacturing and what drives cost and durability
- Experience with lithium-ion battery management systems
- This is a consulting 1099 role
- If the innovation level of this creation reaches patentability and deemed pursuable for Unbound's company strategy, you will be named as one of the main inventors on the patent
- Hourly rate to be agreed upon by consultant and Unbound prior to engagement kickoff
- Hours and scope of project to be defined prior to kickoff
- Estimate for 5-8 hours per week for 2-3 weeks with potential follow-ups based on needs
- Unbound is based in New York but you can be based anywhere so long as we can meet to discuss the project at least once a week on Zoom between the hours of 9am-6pm EST
- Ideal start date early March 2023
Want to apply?
If you’re interested in applying for the position, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Motor Engineer Consultant - [YOUR NAME]”. In your email, please include:
- A brief note on why you think you’re great for the position
- Up-to-date resume
- A link to your portfolio or recent examples of work (e.g., photo examples, CAD files)
Kindly note, due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to reply to questions regarding the status of the hiring process.